Friday, March 09, 2007

TERC Friday Series #1

THE POWER OF PRAISE

Hello folks, how're y'all doing? All i can say is TGIF (Thank God It's Friday! Woohoo!!!). Today marks the beginning of my week long Spring Break and i'm so excited to be sitting my behind in my zones to catch up on school work. Okay, on to today's business. I've been promising since forever to always do a recap on what's discussed at TERC on my blog, so that we can all share in the message together. Boy-Oh-Boy!!! Did we have an Hallellujah good time today or what??? It was fantastic, infact fantastic doesn't even begin to describe it, it was just AWESOME. Seven people called in today including someone from Canada. It was just beautiful fellowshipping in the presence of the most high God together with like minded folks.

A lil' som'n i thot i'd share. I've been going thru some stressful times lately. Trying to set the ball rolling on my next step after graduation, plus some family drama has been brewing, which i've been trying my best to avoid 'cos when all's said and done, i don't want to hear "Cherub said shokolokobangoshe." Anyway, in the midst of all these, i realized i haven't been having my quiet time as often as i ought to, even when i pick up my bible to read a passage or even to pray, my mind just drifts away. Last night i didn't go to bed until 3 a.m. tryna get some schoolwork done and i wasn't too sure if i'd be able to wake up at 4.55 a.m. for TERC, but by some miraculous som'n som'n i woke up o, not even feeling tired sef. I was just too happy for not missing out today 'cos i know the message was just for me.

So Miguel, with contributions from all present, gave us some insight on Praise and how effective it can be. The scripture was taken from Acts 16: 25 - 29. The story in Acts is about Paul and Silas' prison experience after they were thrown in jail for commanding demons out of the slave girl fortune-teller. While singing hymns to God and praying, the chains that bound them were loosened.

LESSONS TO LEARN FROM THE STORY.

Praise draws people to God. It broke the shackles for Paul and Silas so much that the guard was drawn to know more about the God that delivered them (v. 29). The other prisoners experienced their breakthrough from 2 men's act of worship and were drawn to know the God of Paul and Silas.

Points to Ponder

King David, who wrote most of the Psalms, was called a man after God's heart (1 Samuel 13:14). Inspite of the sins he committed, stole a man's wife and had him killed, God still described him as that, 'cos he was always offering praises to God. His worship reflects the depth of the relationship he shared with his God - joy, tears, dancing (2 Samuel 6:14), and song. In most, if not all of the chapters in the Psalms, David added "I will praise you, Oh Lord."

Praising God thru songs and prayer should go hand in hand.

Giving praise to God is an act of worship in and of itself. Even in the midst of troubles, we ought to praise God. The angels are busy praising God 24/7 how much more we his children?

Praise truly does draw people to God and can be used as a tool for evangelism. Miguel gave an example of always singing praise songs to God in Yoruba, that the Chinese girl living next door to him wanted to know why he was always so happy to do just that every morning.

Acts of true worship really does draw people to you, they'll want to know who your God is and why u think so highly of him. Worship is a way of life.

We were made to worship him. Everything that has breath has to praise the Lord. Psalm 150:6 & I Peter 2: 9

Our praise moves God and he delights in it. You don't have to know many "church songs" to praise him, it's ur own personal spiritual act of worship. Even if it involves singing the ABC's God looks into the heart and knows if it's genuine praise or not.

Even when you can't form the words to describe your situation and can't wrap ur head around all the drama unfolding in ur life, just sing praises unto God and worship him. Surrender it all to him in worship.

Lastly, even if u think and have been told that u have a horrible voice and as soon as u open ur mouth windows'll shatter, u can just cover ur head under a blanket and sing all u want, or if u're like me, sing in the shower. Afterall, u're singing for God and not to win an award :)

It is our prayer that just as praising God broke the shackles for Paul and Silas so much that the guard and other prisoners were forced to know about their God, i pray that whatever it is that may have us bound will be broken as we lift our praises to the most high God, creator of the universe and everything therein-- Amen.

SOME OF THE WORSHIP SONGS SHARED.

You Deserve The Glory

You deserve the glory and the honor
Lord, we lift our hands in worship as we lift Your holy name (Repeat)

Chorus: For You are great! You do miracles so great!
There is no one else like You, There is no one else like You! (Repeat)


Create in me a Clean Heart

Create in me a clean heart oh God,
And renew a right spirit within me (Repeat)
Cast me not away from Thy presence oh Lord,
Take not Thy Holy Spirit from me
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation,
And renew a right spirit within me.

TERC attendees: If there's anything i omitted, please feel free to post in the comments section, and i'll include them in the post.

Others: If you have anything to share relating to the subject matter, please drop your comments and i'll be sure to post them.

Have a blessed weekend people. For those in the US, feel free to join us for another exciting time next Friday 5a.m. EST, God willing as we share in THE WORD.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teva is first i o! e i e i o!
She is a super star! e i e i o!
LOL
Omo i didnt know kola olawuyi was dead...scary stuff! Wonderful words on the power of praise. With praise, we bring his presence into our circumstance and boy! what a chemical reaction! All knees must bow, and all obstacles fall flat in his presence....glory!

Omodudu said...

I gained something from reading this. Thanks

Simply Gorgeous said...

You are always very inspirational, Cherub. Thanks.

Eagle's Nest!!! said...

Keep this up! I will always be here to read.

Will start posting my thoughts on spiritual issues!!

God is watching!

Anonymous said...

Well-said!

This is arguably one of the toughest areas in our Christian walk- how to be consistent in 'Praise'. God keeps fine-tuning us day by day. 'Praising/Blessing God' at all times- in the good and bad times- is the goal.

When all is said and done, we want to say: Not only is 'Praise' what we do, but also, 'Praise' is who we are! God help us.

I would like to share a song about 'Praise' I learnt a couple of yrs ago. The lyrics are very powerful. Here goes:

Praise is what I do
When I wanna be close to you
I lift my hands in praise

Praise is who I am
I will praise Him while I can
I'll bless Him at all times

And I vow to praise you
Through the good and the bad
I'll praise you whether happy or sad
I'll praise you in all that I go through
Because praise is what I do
Cause I owe it all to you

Praise is what I do
Even when I'm going through
I've learned to worship you
No my circumstance
Doesn't even stand a chance
My praise outweighs the bad

DiAmOnD hawk said...

oh niyi...i love that song...the guy who wrote it now pastors his own church in georgia...perhaps i'llput that song up on my blog later...

kudos Bijou...a job well done with the summary!!!!

DiAmOnD hawk said...

hmmm...i dont like the #6...so im leaving another comment!!!! :-)

Jennifer A. said...

Thanks Cherub for posting this up...I totally enjoyed that session. You guys are tew kewlll...u guys rock mayneeee!!! He he he...(can't wait to PRAISE God next friday @ TERC).

Its TERC in the house...

Naijadude said...

Nice post you have there, thanks for sharing it. I learnt the power of praise when things were so tough, I mean beyond what I could comprehend, I found this song, although its tough yet the song still gets me thru, which means I have to put it on constant replay.

Praise You In the Storm

I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I’ll praise You in this storm
And I will life my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can’t find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth



I am pretty sure I might have been on here but not really sure about leaving comments, neither can I recall you been on my blog. But nice job you have going on here!! But I would like your insight/participation in a series of question I have, I kinda promised to have a convo with DiamondHawk and Jaycee, Life of a Stranger, different questions for them though and Diamond invited me to TERC but I didnt get the time, hopefully next friday I shld participate.

Yeah, I am hoping on putting the questions on my blog, which ever you think God can give you the wisdom to explain/minister, just go ahead write it and i will publish so everyone visiting can benefit from it. Does that sound good? Thanks

Have a blessed week.

Unknown said...

... great write up...i wish i could join TERC... i dont have a cell phone..for almost a yearooo ...it is a testimony i will blog about soon... it started like a joke..but my life has been great without a phone.. my friends think i am crazy...

anyway, i was hoping that i could call in from the hospital...but i dont get there till 6.30am[ daily] maybe oneday when i am on call thursday night...

my own praise song...
'what shall i do today..
today oooo..i will lift up my hands in praise...for i know...u are always there for me... almighty God ..u're my all and all ..no matter what i face ..when trouble comes my way i will PRAISE UR NAME....
u alone art/are worthy Lord ..to praised and adored...'

Omojesu said...

Praise is a powerful instrument in our Christian lives, if used consistently would bring remarkable results. I do commend you with what you are doing with TERC and I would like to join, I live in Atlanta (eastern standard) so the time would not be a problem. It is great to read blogs that are inspirational like yours, Londonbuki, and Spicy Miguel.

Vera Ezimora said...

Hey girl! Where have u been sef? So you're not comin 4 the parry ehn? I don vex finish o. I dunno if I can ever get over this hurt. *sobs*

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

@mystoriesmytestimonies - girl that is the them song of my church and MY FAV. Gosh. You have reminded me of how much I miss england.

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

meant "theme"

NaijaBloke said...

Cherub ... Nice one and yeah I know u will come thru with that translation.(Omo Iya teasha..LOL)..Yeah it is "Ancient of Days"

Will send u the songs when I get home

Kafo said...

@ Naijadude: I needed to read those lyrics esp. today. Thankx. I love that song. Thankx

Mrs Somebody said...

Have a blessed weekend too Cherub.

Unknown said...

Thanks Cherub. Have a lovely weekend.